Three-and-a-half years into parenting, this is the first blog post I’ve typed up on my phone! Not a bad run there :) We’ve has a whirlwind week between celebrating Memorial Day and Azelie’s baptism, and then playing catch-up ever since…hence the lack of posting this week and this phone-typed-while-nursing Love List. I have had a few things on my mind that I’ve been eager to share, so I hope you enjoy taking a look!
Azelie’s baptism cake! Carrot coconut layer cake from this favorite cookbook
1. I was blown away by how much this episode of the Work and Play with Nancy Ray podcast resonated with me. I have not exercised in months other than neighborhood walks, but halfway through the episode, I left dishes in the sink (I had been loading the dishwasher while listening) and went to do a ten-minute workout on the playroom floor. That’s how convicting it was! If you’re like me and you have literally laughed out loud and said “yeah right” when your phone gave you a workout reminder because it just seemed too impossible to fit into your day, this episode is a must-listen!
2. We finally cleaned up our screened-in porch and hung our string lights over the weekend, giving us a new favorite spot for hanging out in the evenings. The only thing I want to buy to complete the space is a new outdoor rug, since the rug we have out there now is way too small, not to mention, in pretty bad condition. Eyeing this one in ivory or this one in cream/blue.
3. Speaking of the porch, I got a few questions on Instagram about the Turkish towel I have draped over the outdoor dining table. I was just telling Dave we should pick up a few more because I use this one for evvvverything…table linen, picnic blanket, beach towel, outdoor blanket, and on and on. My exact one is from the now-closed Design Darling shop, but they’re pretty easy to find. A few pretty ones linked below!
4. Did you ever see the viral Husbands of Target video a few months ago? Turns out, all of those guys have their own YouTube channels, and Dave and I have been staying up way too late watching “just one more” video from most of them! Laughing so hard that you cry is one of the best feelings, and if you could use a little of that in your life, here are a few of my favorites so far: Millennial Dads vs. Baby Boomer Dads, Five Stages of Working From Home, Neighbors in Quarantine, If Disney Songs Were About Quarantine (+ Part Two), Every Husband in Ikea.
5. Daisies were the symbol for my college household (Franciscan’s version of sororities), so I have a major soft spot for them. When I spotted this beaded daisy headband, I couldn’t resist it, especially because it matches one of Azelie’s bows!
6. Last, but immensely the most important, I wanted to share a few podcast episodes I’ve found very eye-opening over the last few years: “Race and the Catholic Church” on The Catholic Feminist and “Talking with Kids About Race” on Coffee and Crumbs. I am planning to give both episodes another listen with fresh ears. Also, I’m finding the USCCB’s prayer service for racial healing reflection so helpful for guiding my prayer right now. Jesus, be near.
As we head into the weekend (and June?!), I’d love to know, what is one thing you’re looking forward to this summer? I know many plans have been canceled or changed, and would be so encouraged to hear about some of the good things still on your list! I’m hopeful that we’ll still be taking a Kirk family beach vacation at the end of July, but even if we end up just making a solo trip to Wrightsville Beach, I can’t wait to bring Azelie to the ocean for the first time!