There’s no way to sugarcoat it…this week was a doozy. Dave broke his elbow pretty badly on Monday night, and navigating doctor’s offices in pandemic protocol with a three-year-old and a baby in tow has been challenging, to put it lightly. He is going in for surgery this morning so we would love your prayers for a safe procedure and a speedy recovery! Thankfully, my parents are on their way for a conveniently pre-planned trip, so we’ll have a few extra limbs around to make up for the one that’s temporarily down for the count. I’m still hoping we’ll manage to do something special on Sunday to celebrate one of our favorite feast days of the year, the feast of Sts. Louis and Zelie Martin (the latter being Azelie’s namesake!).
1. The lovely team at Cultivate What Matters sent me a copy of Lara Casey’s new children’s book, Gracie’s Garden, which comes out next week. I remember Lara dreaming about this book back when I was still working at Southern Weddings, so I was thrilled to finally hold it in my hands! It is such a sweet story and the illustrations are beautiful. Charlie has been requesting it so often, he almost has the entire thing memorized.
2. In one of the most impactful Instagram posts I’ve ever read, don’t miss my friend Emily’s wisdom about turning a bad day into a “virtue-building” day. So, so good. (P.S. Please say a prayer for her family, too–she is in her last month of pregnancy with baby #4 and her husband was diagnosed with COVID-19.)
3. We watched Breakfast at Tiffany’s during Friday pizza night a few months ago and I could not stop admiring Audrey Hepburn’s sunglasses! Apparently, they are this fabulous pair, but as a much more budget-friendly alternative, I added these to a recent Amazon order. They are super comfortable and stay on my face much better than my way-pricier sunglasses do.
4. Madewell’s aesthetic is hit or miss for me, but I ordered two really pretty, not-too-hipster (ha!) tops during their 4th of July sale last week: this striped ruffle-neck blouse and this daisy puff-sleeve button-down. Both are still under $30 with the code GIANT.
5. This stuffed peppers recipe (subbing ground turkey for the black bean crumbles) used to be one of our staples, but I had forgotten about it until recently. I made it this week for the first time in years and it was better than I remembered! Really easy, filling, and healthy. The leftover filling also makes for a great burrito bowl lunch the next day.
Wishing you a fun and safe weekend! In honor of my parents’ visit, during which pie-making (one of my dad’s big retirement hobbies) is inevitable, let me know below what your favorite type of pie is! This one is mine :)