A few weeks ago, Dave asked me to check out a plant on the side of our house to see if I knew what it was. I headed around by the power box and literally shrieked out loud when I saw the leaves of the plant in this most unassuming, almost hidden, spot…it was a HUGE peony! Ever since, I’ve been checking on it almost daily, watching the progress as the buds grew, hints of color peeked out, and then, finally, a few of the buds began bursting into full bloom. They’re the same peonies that I carried in my wedding bouquet, so this overflowing plant feels like the most perfect anniversary gift from God. I’ve always said that the scent of peonies takes me right back to my wedding day, especially considering that one of my most vivid memories from the day was getting into the vintage car that was taking us from our ceremony to our reception. My dress filled up most of the backseat, tulle tumbling over Dave’s lap as he squeezed in beside me, and the small space quickly filled with the heady scents from both my bouquet and my perfume. We drove with the windows cracked to let the spring breeze in, and we just grinned ourselves silly and marveled over the wedding bands on one another’s fingers. That sweet day was five years ago tomorrow, and although our celebration will be simple, I’m just grateful to spend it with the guy who has made these past five years such a dream come true. And I’m grateful that there will be peonies :)
On to a few favorites from this last week of April!
1. Half-Baked Harvest has been my go-to source of recipes over the last few months. I’ve mentioned before that we’re LOVING her latest cookbook, but recently, I’ve also started perusing her blog archives more thoroughly. This week, we tried her sheet pan chicken shawarma and it was a huge hit. Dave said he loved it at least four times during our meal!
2. Since loungewear is still the name of the game, here’s my latest favorite find: a soft blue, daisy-embroidered sweatshirt from Lou & Grey. I really hope they restock more sizes! It’s also available in a t-shirt version.
3. Even though I’m a longtime follower and fan of Coffee + Crumbs, I don’t read the essays on their blog every day. I’m so glad I randomly swiped up on Instagram to read this one by Sonya Spillman though…I literally had tears streaming down my face as I read it. I highly recommend that any mamas struggling with parenting during the current season (all of us?) gift themselves a few moments to take in her beautiful, moving words!
4. Azelie has been much more of a spit-upper than Charlie was as a baby, so we have burp cloths in practically every room of the house right now. The best, by far, is this one by Little Unicorn (one of my all-time favorite baby brands). The cotton muslin is super soft and absorbent, and the size and shape make it perfect for throwing over your shoulder. Lots more prints/colors here!
5. I added this headband to my Anthropologie cart when I ordered our door knocker so I could get free shipping. While we don’t love the knocker in person, the headband is a winner! It feels like a fresh, spring alternative to the velvet headbands I lived in all winter.
Now here’s my question for you this week! If you’re married, what’s your one MOST vivid wedding day memory? And if you’re not, what do you remember best from your favorite wedding you’ve ever attended? I can’t wait to hear!