I haven’t always had very long hair–it wasn’t until halfway through college that I grew it out, and even then, my biggest reasoning was not wanting to spend money on haircuts! Ever since then, it’s become somewhat of a signature for me, and I love it. Once my hair did get long (and I wanted to keep it that way), I switched up a handful of my products to make sure my hair was as healthy as it could be. Over the past five years, I feel like I’ve found my perfect hair arsenal, so I thought I would share it today!
I also wanted an excuse to post these super fun photos by Kat Harris from Bridal Market last fall :) My friend Kristin and I got off the plane in NYC and headed straight to Drybar to get fashion show-ready! It was a blast, and we felt pretty darn fabulous for the rest of the day. In my opinion, a blowout is definitely worth it when you want to feel extra confident!
Obviously, my hair does not look that good every day :) But when I’m on my own without Drybar’s assistance, here are my tried and true products:
1. It’s a 10 Miracle Leave-In Product: If I’m only going to use one product, it’s this one! “It’s a 10” means it literally meets 10 hair needs, from adding shine, to preventing split ends, to acting as a heat protector. I noticed a big difference in the health of my hair when I started using it (maybe four years ago?) and it continues to be my must-have hair product. I love that it makes a big impact without weighing my hair down, since it’s actually a cream that’s applied as a spray.
2. L’Oreal EverSleek Shampoo and Conditioner: I switch out my shampoo and conditioner every once in awhile, but I often find myself coming back to this set. I think they work really well, and I love that they’re paraben-free…and budget-friendly!
3. Drybar Detox Dry Shampoo: Cutting down on how often I wash my hair means less heat styling, which means less damage–a big part of being able to grow out my hair. I’ve tried four or five different dry shampoos, but this one is hands down my favorite!
4. Drybar Texas Tea Volumizing Spray: This is the most recent addition to my hair care arsenal–it came in a Drybar sampler pack I bought over the holidays. I spray it on my roots before blow drying my hair, and after using it a few times, I realized I had had a good hair day every time I used it! Long hair is heavy, and I love that this adds a little volume without making my hair feel greasy or sticky.
5. Orofluido Elixir: This oil is a bit of a splurge, but it lasts forever! I use a dime-sized amount on wet hair when I want a sleek blowout look, and along with making my hair much shinier, it smells SO good!
A few more of my best tips for long hair: limit heat styling as much as possible (I blow dry my hair about twice a week and air dry it the rest of the time, and I only use a curling iron or flat iron about every other week), and make sure you eat a nutrient-rich diet–that affects everything positively, hair included!
Are there any hair products that you swear by? And if you have any questions about maintaining or styling long hair, just let me know in the comments below!